The Anti-Corruption Bureau received a complaint alleging that Mr. Steven Kamphangale Banda an Accounts Officer responsible for salaries at Blantyre DHO awarded himself a loan amounting to K2, 000,000.00 which he was not entitled to and deposited it into his SACCO account at Mudi SACCO.
The Anti-Corruption Bureau instituted investigations into the matter which established that he had committed the offence.
On 29th January, 2015, the Anti-Corruption Bureau arrested Mr. Steven Kamphangale Banda. He was taken to Court where he was charged with abuse of office contrary to Section 25 B (1) of the Corrupt Practices Act, obtaining money by false pretences contrary to Section 319 of the Penal Code and money laundering contrary to Section 35 (1) (a) of the Money Laundering, Proceeds of Serious Crime and Terrorist Financing Act.
He was granted bail on the following conditions:
• To report to the Anti-Corruption Bureau Offices in Blantyre, once every week on Mondays
• To deposit with the court the sum of K50,000 cash
• Not to interfere in any way directly or indirectly with any of the State witnesses by himself or his agents or any other person(s)
• To surrender to the Anti-Corruption Bureau passport(s) and any other travel documents
• To provide two sufficient sureties bonded in the sum of K100, 000 not cash.
• Not to leave Blantyre without the approval of the Director of the Anti-Corruption Bureau.
He will appear in Court on 17th February, 2015 for commencement of trial.
EGRITA M. NDALA
SENIOR PUBLIC RELATIONS OFFICER
FOR: DIRECTOR GENERAL