In September, 2016, the Anti-Corruption Bureau received a complaint alleging that senior officers at Mangochi District Council had been abusing Local Development Fund (LDF) funds by drawing hefty night allowances for trips which were never undertaken.
The Anti- Corruption Bureau instituted investigations which established that the District Commissioner for Mangochi District Council approved payment of K3, 706,952. 00 to Patiencia Enterprise owned by Monica Mazowa Kagwira without supporting documents such as IPC minutes awarding a contract to Patiencia Enterprises before the said goods were delivered.
On 26th October, 2018, the Magistrates Court in Mangochi found the five suspects with a case to answer as follows:
- Mr. Jack Ngulube, Former District Commissioner for Mangochi now in Mwanza for neglect of duty contrary to Section 121 of the
- Mr. Michael Khoko, District Procurement Officer for Mangochi District Council for abuse of office contrary to Section 25B
(1) of the Corrupt Practices Act.
- Mr. Arnold Chitenjere, Fisheries Assistant for Mangochi District Council for dealing in contracts contrary 252 C (2) of the
- Ms. Monica Mazowa Kagwira, Inspectorate Officer at Mangochi Fisheries on the count of abuse of office and theft contrary to
Section 25B (1) and 278 of the Corrupt Practices and the Penal Code.
- Mr. Cyprian Kagwira was found with a case to answer on the count of giving false information to Bureau officers contrary to
Section 14(1) of the Corrupt Practices Act. He told Bureau officers that he owned fish ponds along Shire River near
Mangochi Boma where he reared fish fingerings when the ponds belonged to Mr. Paul Yekha.
- They will appear in Court on 4th December, 2018 for defense.
EGRITA M. NDALA
SENIOR PUBLIC RELATIONS OFFICER
FOR: DIRECTOR GENERAL